African Flower Baby Blanket
Babies! So Many Babies!!
The year is half way through, and I have been rather naughty in committing time needed for the completion of baby blankets that I need to have ready for newly arriving little ones in just a few short months. So, being the crazy crafter that I am, I now face the challenge of completing three baby blankets before the end of this autumn season. Can I do it? Yes. Will they be awesome? Naturally! Am I worried? Beyond compare! For I know that quite a few sleepless nights, fumbling fingers with crochet hooks, and moments of frustration when I count wrong await me in the next few months. At this point, I would like to note that, though one of these friends having a baby soon does not know the other two that are to have babies, I suspect them all of conspiring in some way and planning to do this at the same time so as to give me extra work simultaneously. *nods* But I will not be deterred! These babies will have cute blankets that are a fair competition to their own adorable appearances and they will like them!! Err, um, eventually, when they are old enough to look back and appreciate them.
The First Blanket
This first baby blanket is going to be made for my friend and his wife’s first baby; it is going to be a little girl. I will be detailing the the progress of the blanket as I go, so that you can all follow along. I’ll include images, the pattern, and a few notes on picking yarn, the hook sized used, the design of the blanket. My friend chose pink and green for the main colors of the blanket; I added on a soft white to blend it all together.
The first thing I grabbed was the pattern. I chose the Crocheted African Flower pattern. I’d seen this around quite a bit already, some people having made some very lovely projects and documented them online, so I thought I would give it a shot and see how I like it for something basic, like this baby blanket. There really is no indication about what type of yarn or hook size to use, so I went with my usual, made one full flower, and then measured to see if I liked the way it turned out. So here is what I used:
- Size “I” aluminum crochet hook
- A pair of scissors
- And worsted weight (medium) yarn [here is my count so far]: 1 Red Heart Super Saver in Hunter Green, 1 Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice in Pink, 2 Red Heart Soft in Off White, 1 Bernat Satin in Maitai, and 1 Red Heart Soft in Spearmint.
Since the pattern is only for the granny motif to make individual Flower Blocks, I had to design the blanket myself. Each Flower Block will come out to roughly 5 x 5.5 x 3 inches with my gauge. So I went with a pink and green alternating design, where they blocks, going vertically (downward) alternate between pink and green. There are seven rows, with six blocks in the first, third, fifth, and seventh rows, and seven blocks in the second, fourth, and sixth rows.
Thus far, I am on the second and third rows of the pattern, and the African Flower pattern is very easy to follow. There are a few notes I’d like to make though, for those of you wondering what I’m up to:
- Though it does not directly say, and I cannot tell from the images provided, I have decided to keep the motifs all right-side up. I don’t think it really matters though if you do all right-side up or alternate between right side and then wrong side up in each row.
- When changing colors on the next row, I have found it useful to begin in the space right before the place I ended on the row before. This allowed me to use the new stitches as a way to hide the tail end of the yarn of the new row and the last row (saves time from having to weave in ends later).
- Don’t crochet while hungry! I found that as I got distracted for too long with the project and forgot to eat, the yarn started to look suspiciously like spaghetti.
I’ve only gotten part of this done, so check back later for another post on how the progress of blanket #1 is going. I’ll be adding a rim next in the color of row one and then adding the final row in off white. Then it’ll be sticking it together from there, which should be interesting because I’ve never made a granny blanket in anything other than squares before!