Simple Double Crochet Beanie Pattern
Hello everyone! I have been trying to find patterns for accessories that are quick and nice. Sometimes, although there are plenty awesome patterns out there, I want something that I’m picturing in my mind. So what I end up doing is making my own pattern. And this is one of those times.
Recently, I was looking for a beanie pattern that I could use as a basis from which to expand the design. There were some good ones on the Red Heart and Lion Brand site, but I wanted something relatively fast to make with all the worsted weight yarns I had already. So I designed this double crochet pattern. Eventually I’ll be adding smaller patterns for items that one can add to the beanie to customize it. So check back for those later.
- Size “I” hook
- Worsted weight yarn in desired colors
Notes and Abbreviations
- This pattern is worked in rounds, from the center out.
- Each row is worked in the same direction; you will not have to turn at the beginning of each row.
- You can customize the size of the beanie you make by stopping at specific increase rows or adding more increase rows. The pattern will only be written up to making a large beanie (step 7), but you can add more increase rows to make the beanie wider if desired.
- Sizes: 1) A small fits a child; 2) a medium fits a teen or most women; 3) a large fits women and most men
- Just to give you an idea: A medium fits most women; I, for example, can use this regularly. Sometimes I use a large when my hair is curled or just a bit fluffier. A large fits my husband comfortably.
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Sp(s) = space(s)
- Sk = skip
- Ch(s) = chain(s)
- Sl st = slip stitch
- Sc(s) = single crochet(s)
- Dc(s) = double crochet(s)
- Rep = repeat
- Rnd(s) = round(s)
- DNT = do not turn
Double Crochet Beanie Instructions
1. Ch 3. Sl st the ends into a small loop. Ch 1, loosely. Dc 12 in the center 3-ch loop. [12 sts]
2. Ch 1, loosely, DNT. Dc 2 in each st around. [24 sts]
3. Ch 1, loosely, DNT. *Dc 2 in one st, dc 1 in the next st*. Repeat from * to * around, 11 more times. [36 sts]
4. Ch 1, loosely, DNT. *Dc 2 in one st, dc 1 in each of the next 2 sts*. Repeat from * to * around, 11 more times. [48 sts; this makes a small beanie]
5. Ch 1, loosely, DNT. *Dc 2 in one st, dc 1 in each of the next 3 sts*. Repeat from * to * around, 11 more times. [60 sts; this makes a medium beanie]
6. Ch 1, loosely, DNT. *Dc 2 in one st, dc 1 in each of the next 4 sts*. Repeat from * to * around, 11 more times. [72 sts; this makes a large beanie]
7. Ch 1, loosely, DNT. Dc 1 in each st around. [72 sts]
8-17. Rep step 7.
18+. Optional: add more rnds of step 7 to desired length.
And you now have your very own beanie! Eventually I’ll be publishing a few short patterns to make embellishments for them, such as animal ears, flowers, or logos. For now though, pick up your favorite colors and make yourself a beanie.